There are several written guides for starting worker cooperatives, and many more for starting cooperatives in general that include sections on worker cooperatives. Having a good organizer or consultant, or mentor, surely makes any of the guides more useful. A few examples are:
- Think Outside the Boss: How to Create a Worker-Owned Business, from the Sustainable Economies Law Center (2013)
- Steps to Starting a Worker Cooperative by Gary Hansen, E. Kim Coontz, and Audrey Malan (1997)
Empezando una Cooperativa de Trabajadores by E. Kim Coontz, CCCD. A Spanish-language version of Steps to Starting A Worker Co-op.
- In Good Company: the Guide to Cooperative Employee Ownership, a Worker Cooperative Toolbox by Margaret Lund and the Northcountry Cooperative Development Foundation (2006)
- Starting a Worker Co-op: A Canadian Handbook produced by the Canadian Worker Co-op Federation (2009)
- How to Set Up a Workers' Co-op, Radical Routes, UK (2012)
- A Technology Freelancer's Guide to Starting a Worker Cooperative by Jim Johnson, Brent Emerson, et al (2009)
- Co-op 101: A Guide to Starting a Cooperative from the Cooperative Development Institute (2010)
- Putting Democracy to Work by Frank T. Adams and Gary Hansen (1987)
- Starting a worker owned cooperative for home care workers by Margaret Bau (2008?)
Forming and Operating a Worker Cooperative. A slide presentation at the 2010 Vermont Employee Ownership Conference by Newell Lessell of The ICA Group and Erbin Crowell of Co-operative Fund of New England.
- Cooperatives: A Tool for Community Development by Mary Myers , Greg Lawless , and E.G. Nadeau , University of Wisconsin Center for Cooperatives and Cooperative Development Services (1998)
- Considering Cooperation: A Guide for New Cooperative Development by Brian M. Henehan and Bruce L. Anderson, Department of Applied Economics and Management, Cornell University (2001)
- Cooperative Feasibility Guide by James Matson, USDA (2000)
- The Co-operative Formation Decision by Graeme Charles and David Griffiths, Cooperative Federation of Victoria, Australia, 2003
- How to Start a Cooperative by Galen W. Rapp and Gerald Ely (1996)
- Creating 'Co-op Fever': A Rural Developer's Guide to Forming Cooperatives, by William Patrie, USDA Rural Development (1998)
- A Legal Sourcebook for California Cooperatives: Start-Up and Administration by Van P. Baldwin (2004)
- Starting a Cooperative on the website of Cooperative Life
- Steps in Forming a Cooperative - a basic guide published by Cooperative Development Services, Madison WI.
- Cooperatives 101: An Introduction To Cooperatives by Donald A. Frederick, USDA Rural Development (1997)
Starting a Co-operative, Co-operatives UK